Title: Senior Lecturer
Office: Benson 420
- PhD, University of Kentucky, English
- MA, Belmont University, English
- BA, Belmont University, English/History
- Nineteenth-and early-twentieth-century African American literature and culture
- Nineteenth-and early-twentieth-century American literature and culture
- Critical Race Theory
- The New Negro in the Old South, book manuscript, (under contract with Rutgers University Press)
- “‘Tried By Fire’: The African-American Boycott of Jim Crow Streetcars in Nashville 1905-1907,” journal article, (under board review)
- Fall 2013:
- ENGL: 211: Rise of the American Novel
- AMER: 100W A Renaissance in Harlem
- Senior Lecturer, Vanderbilt University, Department of English, Fall 2011-present
- Lecturer, Vanderbilt University, Department of English, Fall 2009-Summer 2011
- Adjunct Instructor, Belmont University, Department of English, Fall 2006-2008
- Adjunct Instructor, Lipscomb University, Department of English, Spring 2006
- Graduate Instructor, University of Kentucky, Department of English, Fall 2003-Fall 2005
- Adjunct Instructor, Lipscomb University, Department of English, Fall 2002, Spring 2003
- Adjunct Instructor, Nashville State Technical College, Department of English, Summers 2002 and 2003
- Instructor, Bowie Reading and Learning Center, Nashville, TN, Fall 2001-Fall 2003
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- American Studies Association (ASA)
- College English Association (CEA)
- Tennessee Philological Association (TPA)
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2005, Department of English, University of Kentucky
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2004, Department of English, University of Kentucky
- The New Negro in the Old South (under contract with Rutgers University Press)
- “’A Fine Good Place to Be’: Evaluating Racism, Rejection, and Redemption Through the Eyes of Martin Pawley in John Ford’s The Searchers.” Film & History, forthcoming.
- “Imperium In Imperio: Sutton Elbert Griggs and the New Negro of the South.” The Southern Quarterly 45 (2008): 153-176.
- “Annie Burton.” Encyclopedia of African-American Women Writers. Ed. Yolanda Page. Westport: Greenwood Press, 2007. 59-60.
- The New Negro: Readings on Race, Representation, and African American Culture, 1892-1938, ed. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Gene Andrew Jarrett (review). Callaloo 32 (2009): 322-325.