Title: Associate Professor
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- B.A. Harvard University, 1996
- Victorian Literature and Culture
- Non-fiction Prose
- The Long Nineteenth Century, 1789-1914
- Aesthetics, Art History, Visual culture
- History and Theory of Gender and Sexuality
- Aesthetic Networks: Victorian New Media and the Idea of Art (in progress)
- Sexual Geographies: Utopian Terrains of the Late-Victorian Counterculture (in progress)
- The Nineteenth-Century Criminal (Fall 2011)
- The Cultures and Histories of Victorian Britain (co-taught with Jim Epstein, Spring 2012)
- Visuality, Visual Culture, and the Victorian Imagination (Graduate seminar, Spring 2012)
- North American Victorian Studies Association
- Modernist Studies Association
- Modern Language Association
- The Literate Eye: Victorian Art Writing and Modernist Aesthetics (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- "Novels, Newspapers, and Global War: New Realisms in the 1850s." NOVEL: A Forum on Fiction. 45:1 (Spring 2012). (forthcoming).
- "White Girls: Avant-Gardism and Advertising after 1860." Victorian Studies 51.3 (April 2009): 422-437.
- "Pictures in Bleak Houses: Slavery and the Aesthetics of Transatlantic Reform." ELH 76 (2009).
- "Modernist Ruskin, Victorian Baudelaire: Revisioning Nineteenth-Century Aesthetics." PMLA (May 2007). Also, a "Forum" response, PMLA (March 2008).
- "This Sublime Museum: Looking at Art at the Great Exhibition," Victorian Prism: Refractions of the Crystal Palace, eds. James Buzard, Joseph Childers, and Eileen Gillooly (University of Virginia Press, 2007).
- "The Politics of Formalist Art Criticism: Pater's 'School of Giorgione,'" Walter Pater: Transparencies of Desire, eds. Laurel Brake, Lesley Higgins, and Carolyn Williams (ELT Press, 2002).
- Review of Sharon Aronofsky Weltman, Performing the Victorian: John Ruskin and Identity in Theater, Science, and Education. In Victorian Studies, Spring 2008.
- Review of Colette Colligan, The Traffic in Obscenity from Byron to Beardsley: Sexuality and Exoticism in Nineteenth-Century Print Culture. In Romanticism and Victorianism on the Net, Feb. 2008.
- "Pursuing the Victorian Honeymoon." Review of Helena Michie, Victorian Honeymoons: Sexual Reorientations and the 'Sights' of Europe. In Nineteenth-Century Genders, Winter 2007.