Anthony B. Hmelo
Research Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Program: Vanderbilt Institute of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (VINSE)
Research Group: Materials Physics
Physics and Astronomy
Personal Homepage: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/arts-and-science/2012-07/five-minutes-with-anthony-b-hmelo/
Phone: (615) 343-7212
Fax: (775) 743-9064
- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering, SUNY Stony Brook
- M.S. Materials Science and Engineering, SUNY Stony Brook
- B.S. Earth and Space Science, SUNY Stony Brook
- B.E. Engineering Science, SUNY Stony Brook
- Cleanroom Nanofabrication Technology
- RBS and VdG Accelerator Physics
- Diamond Nano-Fabrication and Applications
- Containerless Processing
- Acoustic, Electron, Photon and Ion beam methods for materials characterization and surface modification
- Coherent acoustic phonon spectroscopy in single crystals
- High-Brightness Cathodes for High-Power Free Electron Lasers
- Nanofluidics for the Structural Interrogation of DNA
- MSE 275 Diffraction Methods in Materials Science
- Nano 250 Materials Characterization Techniques in Nanoscale Science
- Research Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering (EECS)
- Associate Director for Operations and Outreach, VINSE
- Chair, Physics Safety Committee
- Chair, Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS) User Executive Committee
- Vice-Chair, CNMS User Executive Committee (2011)
- Director of Core Laboratories, VINSE (2005-2010)
- Director of Graduate Studies, Program in Materials Science and Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN (1992-1997)
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA (1997)
- Center for Microgravity Research and Applications, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN (1998-2001)
- National Synchrotron Light Source, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton NY (1982-1987)
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering, SUNY @ Stony Brook, Stony Brook NY (1987-1998)
- Tau Beta Pi
- Sigma Xi
- Alpha Sigma Mu
- Materials Research Society
- Art Baddorf (ORNL)
- Jim Davidson (Vanderbilt)
- Leonard C. Feldman (Rutgers)
- Richard Haglund (Vanderbilt)
- Deyu Li (Vanderbilt)
- Richard Mu (Fisk)
- J. Michael Ramsey (UNC)
- Norman Tolk (Vanderbilt)
- Taylor Wang (Vanderbilt)
- Robert Reed (Vanderbilt)
- Corbett Battaile (1992), currently with Sandia National Laboratory
- Sharbari Banerjee (1994), currently with Buehler Ltd.
- Manoj Sridhar (2008), currently with the Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication
- William Blake Hooper (2005), graduated Vanderbilt Medical School
- A.B. Hmelo, Nondestructive Evaluation of Millimeter Scale Engineered Structures Using Synchrotron X-ray Microtomography, J. X-ray Sci. Tech., 4, (1994), 290.
- C.C. Battaile, R.N. Grugel, A.B. Hmelo and T.G. Wang, The Effect of Enhanced Gravity Levels on Microstructural Development in Pb -50 wt pct Sn Alloys During Controlled Directional Solidification, Met. Trans. 25A, (1994), 865.
- A.B. Hmelo, C.C. Battaile and T.G. Wang, The Velocity of Sound in Liquid Succinonitrile Near the Melting Temperature, J. Acoustical Soc. Am., 100(2), (1996), 1254.
- S. Banerjee, A.B. Hmelo and T. G. Wang, Composition Dependence of the Surface Tension of V-Ti Alloys Near the Liquidus Temperature, Experimental Methods For Materials Science Research - Proceedings II, IV-VII, Ed. Robert A. Schiffman, Vol. VIII, TMS, Warrendale, PA (1997).
- C.P. Lee, A.V. Anilkumar, A.B. Hmelo and T.G. Wang, Equilibrium of Liquid Drops Under the Effects of Rotational and Acoustic Flattening: Results from USML-2 Experiments in Space, J. Fluid Mech. 354, (1998), 43.
- A.V. Anilkumar, A.B. Hmelo and T.G. Wang, Core Centering of Immiscible Compound Drops in Capillary Oscillations: Experimental Observations, J. Colloid and Interface Sci., 242, (2001), 465.
- A.B. Hmelo, E.F. Belbusti, M.L. Smith, S.J. Brice and R.F. Wheaton, The Vanderbilt University Nanoscale Science and Engineering Fabrication Laboratory, in Buildings for Nanoscale Research and Beyond, edited by Hal, Amick, Proceedings of the SPIE Vol 5933 Bellingham WA, (2005).
- Z. Pan. S.H. Morgan, A.Ueda, R. Aga, A. Steigerwald, A.B. Hmelo and R. Mu, Er-doped ZnO Films Grown by Pulsed E-beam Deposition, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 19, 266216, (2007).
- D. Xu, Y. Kang, M. Sridhar, A.B. Hmelo, L.C. Feldman, Dongqing Li and Deyu Li, Wide-spectrum Ultrasensitive Fluidic Sensors with Amplification from both Fluidic Circuits and Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors, Applied Physics Letters, 91, 013901, (2007).
- D. Xu, Y. Kang, D. Li, D. Li, M. Sridhar, A.B. Hmelo, and L.C. Feldman, Ultrasensitive Micro/Nanoscale Resistive Pulse Sensors by Integrating Fluidic Devices with MOSFETs, Proc. MNHT 2008, MNHT2008-52249, Tainan, Taiwan.
- A. Steigerwald, R. Aga, W. E. Collins, R. Mu and A. B. Hmelo, Compositional analysis of lead telluride films deposited via pulsed electron-beam ablation, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films -- May 2008 -- Volume 26, Issue 3, pp. 513.
- M. Sridhar, D. Xu, Y. Kang, A. B. Hmelo, L. C. Feldman, D. Li and D. Li, Experimental characterization of a metal-oxide-semiconductor ﬁeld-effect transistor-based Coulter counter, Journal of Applied Physics, 103, 104701, (2008).
- A. Steigerwald, Y. Xu, J. Qi, J. Gregory, X. Liu, J.k. Furdyna, K. Varga, A.B. Hmelo, G. Lupke, L.C. Feldman and N. Tolk, Semiconductor point defect concentration profiles measured using coherent acoustic phonon waves, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 111910, (2009).
- Manoj Sridhar, Dongyan Xu, Anthony B. Hmelo, Deyu Li and Leonard C. Feldman, Thermal Bubble Nucleation in Nanochannels: Simulations and Strategies for Nanobubble Nucleation and Sensing, in Microelectromechanical Systems: Materials and Devices II, edited by S.M. Spearing, S. Vengallatore, N. Sheppard, J. Bagdahn (Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Volume 1139, Warrendale, PA, 2009), 1139-GG03-22.
- T. Roy, E.X. Zhang, Y.S. Puzyrev, D.M. Fleetwood, R. D. Schrimpf, B.K. Choi, A.B. Hmelo, and S. T. Pantelides, Process dependence of proton-induced degradation in GaN HEMTs, IEEE Trans. Nucl, Sci., vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 3060-3065, (2010).
- R. Arinero, E.X. Zhang, N. Rezzak, R.D. Schrimpf, D.M. Fleetwood, B.K. Choi, A.B. Hmelo, J. Mekki, A.D. Touboul, F. Saigné, High fluence 1.8 MeV proton irradiation effects on n-type MOS capacitors, Microelectronics Reliability 51, 2093-2096, (2011).
- A. Steigerwald, A.B. Hmelo, K. Varga, L.C. Feldman, N. Tolk, Determination of optical damage cross-sections and volumes surrounding ion bombardment tracks in GaAs using coherent acoustic phonon spectroscopy, J. Appl. Phys. 112, 013514 (2012).
- J.D. Jarvis, B.K. Choi, A.B. Hmelo, B. Ivanov, C.A. Brau, Emittance Measurements of Electron Beams from Diamond Field Emitter Arrays", J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 30, 042201 (2012).
- J. Gregory, A. Steigerwald, H. Takahashi, A. Hmelo and N. Tolk, Ion implantation induced modification of optical properties in single-crystal diamond studied by coherent acoustic phonon spectroscopy, Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 181904 (2012).
- M.A. Harrison, A. Ng, A. Hmelo, and S.J. Rosenthal, CdSSe Nanocrystals with Chemical Composition Gradients, Israel Journal of Chemistry: Nanochemistry A. Paul Alivisatos and Charles Lieber Wolf Prize Festschift, 52, 1063-1072, (2012).
Professor Hmelo's research focuses on the physics of the solid-liquid interface, and how the interface between liquids and solids can be engineered for the realization of new devices and nano-materials. His current projects address the physics of fluid transport and bubble formation in nano-confined structures. In the laboratory he employs a variety of chemical as well as optical, electron and focused ion beam (FIB) lithographic techniques for the fabrication of micro- and nano-fluidic devices, and develops novel applications for thin-film planar heterostructures based on nano-crystalline diamond (NCD) and diamond-like carbon (DLC).
Member, VU Chemical Safety Committee
Faculty, Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Materials Science
Copyright Vanderbilt University