Office: 412 Benson Hall
- Ph.D. - Yale University, 1976, Major Field: English Language and Literature
- M.A. - Brown University, 1970, American Literature
- B.A. - Brown University, 1970, magna cum laude, English Literature (Honors)
- James Joyce
- Modern Irish Literature
- Modern British Literature
- Joyce's Misbelief, manuscript in progress, projected publication Spring, 2007.
- English 112W, English 208B
- Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University (1970)
- Radcliffe Hicks Premium in English, Brown University (1970)
- SAMLA Book Prize, 1995
- Joyce's Comic Portrait, University Press of Florida: James Joyce Series, August, 2000.
- Joyce's Iritis and the Irritated Text, University Press of Florida: James Joyce Series, 1995. Winner, 1995 SAMLA Book Prize
- The Art of Joyce's Syntax in "Ulysses," Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1980.
- "The Church as Industry," James Joyce Quarterly, Spring 2005.
- “The Audiences of Joyce’s Autobiographies” in Joyce’s Audiences, (collection), 2002.
- "Adolescence, Humor, and Adolescent Humor," Joyce Through the Ages, (collection), 1999.
Roy Gottfried has been at Vanderbilt since 1975 and teaches undergraduate and graduate courses on Joyce as well as nineteenth and twentieth century British literature. He has served the department as Director of Graduate Studies and Director of Undergraduate Studies. He is currently the University Marshal.